bigstock-Small-Business-owner-with-ope-24830186Foreign citizens who wish to hold a job in the United States will need the permission of the government in order to do so. Working as a foreign citizen in the United States without the appropriate documentation puts the foreign citizen at risk of removal / deportation and puts the employer or person who hired the foreign citizen at risk of fines and/or criminal prosecution from the federal government. Generally, foreign citizens from foreign countries who visit the United States on a tourist visa are not allowed to work or conduct any business while in the U.S.

Temporary Work Visas

According to our business immigration lawyers, temporary work visas can be issued to foreign citizens who would like to travel to the United States for work or business but who have no long term intention of remaining in the country. To qualify for these types of work visas, the foreign citizen must secure a position which would qualify for the visa to be issued. Once expired, this type of visa is no longer active and the person must return to his or her country of origin.

Lawful Permanent Resident Status

For foreign citizens who think that they would like to remain in the United States indefinitely, then they will have to apply for permanent resident status in order to be able to stay employed in the United States for an extended period of time. When granted lawful permanent resident status, the foreign citizen is issued a green card stating that he or she is allowed to remain in the country indefinitely and is allowed to enjoy all of the privileges of being a lawful permanent resident.

While lawful permanent resident status will allow a foreign citizen to remain employed and working in the United States, it will not protect the foreign citizen from the risk of deportation, which means that if a lawful permanent resident with a valid green card violates a serious U.S. law or other rule of U.S. immigration policy, no matter how long the person has been in the United States, he or she may be subject to removal / deportation by an immigration court.

Full American Citizenship

The only way to ensure that a foreign born person will not be deported from the United States is if that person becomes a naturalized U.S. citizen. Once a naturalized U.S. citizen, a foreign born person receives the rights and privileges to live, work, and remain in the United States just the same as any person who was born in this country and who received citizenship by birth.

Getting an Attorney to Help

A foreign citizen is required to spend a number of years as a lawful permanent resident before being allowed to apply for naturalization, but an attorney can still provide immediate legal advice on work visa options to foreign citizens who would like to come to the United States to work, whether they plan on becoming eventual lawful permanent residents or they just want to work in the country for a brief period before returning back home.

For more information, speak to a business immigration lawyer today.